Reminder: The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has announced that any changes to an approved Data Management and Sharing Plan (DMS Plan) (for funded awards subject to the Final NIH Policy for Data Management and Sharing (DMS) Policy) requires the recipient to submit a timely formal prior approval request to the funding NIH Institute, Center, or Office (ICO). Recipients must submit these requests through the Prior Approval Module in eRA Commons (directions can be found below). This functionality will be available for NIH grants effective October 12, 2023, and will be used exclusively for submitting requests for updating the DMS Plan. Emails and other communications are not acceptable.
How to Submit A Request
In the Prior Approval Module, recipients must Select “Prior Approval – Other Request” and follow the instructions provided to complete the required entry. This functionality may only be used for revised DMS Plan prior approval requests.
The request must be submitted by a Signing Official.
Prior Approval – Other Request Instructions
- Description: Enter “DMS Plan Revision” (without quotations).
- Effective Date: Enter the effective date of the requested changes.
- Justification Document: Provide the rationale and justification for the requested changes.
- Budget Document: Provide if the revised DMS Plan impacts the budget. Include information for current and future budget periods. Note: This is not a supplement request.
- Other Supporting Documents: Attach the revised DMS Plan.
All uploaded documents must be in PDF format.
Please review the full guide notice for additional information.