Announcement: The Department of Energy (DOE) requires that all investigators on DOE funded projects submit an annual disclosure of significant financial interests related to their USC responsibilities. Financial interests held by a spouse and any dependent children must be disclosed as well. More information on what needs to be disclosed can be found below. DOE requires that these disclosures be updated on an annual basis and within 30 days of acquiring a new significant financial interest. If the investigator also receives HHS funding (NIH, CDC, etc.) the annual disclosure will complete both requirements. Click here for a presentation from DOE on this new requirement.
Examples of interests that must be disclosed in the annual disclosure to USC include:
- Managerial role, equity interest (other than mutual funds) or income from a company that has any relationship to your research, teaching, clinical practice, or administrative role at USC.
- Holding any type of compensated appointment at another college, university or institute outside of USC. This applies to domestic and foreign institutions.
- Participation (including roles as a principal investigator, co-principal investigator, paid consultant, or paid staff member) on projects supported by government or private grants, contracts, or gifts at another domestic or foreign entity.
- Involvement in any activity that requires regular or extensive absence from the university during times when you are required or expected to perform the duties and responsibilities of your university employment.
- Maintaining an external management role or consulting or other business or employment relationship, regardless of compensation, with a vendor, competitor or supplier of the university.
Salary through USC does not need to be disclosed.
Disclosures posing potential conflicts of interest in research at HSC or UPC will be reviewed by the Conflict of Interest in Research Committee (CIRC) at HSC or UPC in accordance with USC’s Conflict of Interest in Research policy.
DCG will be verifying PIs and Co-PIs have submitted an annual disclosure prior to submitting a DOE proposal. PIs, Co-PIs, School Research Administrator(s) and the Office of Culture, Ethics and Compliance will be notified in the event an annual disclosure has not been completed prior to submission.