Announcement: Login.gov will serve as the single-entry point to The Department of Health & Human Services four different grants systems: eRA (Electronic Research Administration), Grants.gov, GrantSolutions.gov, and Payment Management System, utilizing a two-factor authentication process with one username and password, verified through a phone or other device.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and partner agencies will begin requiring use of Login.gov in 2021, with a mandatory deadline by September 15, 2021. The requirement will first be implemented for proposal review committees in the IAR (Internet Assisted Review). All other eRA platform (Electronic Research Administration) account users, including eRA Commons, Commons Mobile, and ASSIST (Application Submission System & Interface for Submission Tracking) are encouraged to begin using Login.gov now. The association of your eRA Commons to Login.gov is only required one-time.
- Please ensure your eRA Commons account is active and you have your current password available when you begin the process.
- The Forgot Password/Unlock Account link is available on the main Commons homepage.
- After you create a Login.gov account, your screen will time-out in 10 minutes to associate your eRA Commons account. If the screen times out, you do not need to create a Login.gov account again, just finish the last step in the process to associate your account.
- You will only have the ability to associate one eRA account to a Login.gov account. There may be capability to connect multiple eRA accounts in the near future.
- You will be notified that your eRA password will be required to be updated every 120 days through the main Commons page. You will be able to enter eRA through Login.gov with an expired password.
The implementation of Login.gov streamlines and eliminates duplication, waste, and reduces the burden on the grantor and grant recipient through a single credentialing process that meets new National Institute of Standard and Technology (NIST) requirements for secure validation and verification. NIH partner agencies include Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Office of Research and Development, Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- Guide Notice NOT-OD-21-040
- Web page: Two-Factor Authentication: Accessing eRA Modules via Login.gov
- Two-factor authentication video tutorials:
- 3 Steps for Initial Login.gov Setup
- Two-Factor Authentication FAQs
- eRA Commons Online Help
- ASSIST Online Help