The responsibilities of Principal Investigators are rapidly evolving and maintaining up-to-date knowledge in research administration can be a challenge. In recognition of these changes and your obligations as PIs, the Department of Contracts and Grants has developed a Grants Management Training Program for Faculty.
Grants Management Training Program Information
The Grants Management Training Program for Faculty is approximately 3 hours in total duration and consists of eight small course modules that are broken down into two major sections. The first section (Fiscal Administration) consists of four 30-minute lessons (totaling 2 hours in duration) and covers the following topics:
- Principal Investigator (PI) Responsibilities
- Funding Mechanisms
- Federal Cost Principles
- USC Regulatory Bodies
- USC Internal Systems
- Award Management
- Effort Certification
- Subcontracting with Outside Entities
- Award Closeout
The second section (Research Ethics) comprises four 15-minute lessons (totaling approximately one hour in duration) and covers the following topics:
- Conflict of Interest
- Research Misconduct
- Data Sharing and Management
- Authorship and Attribution, Peer Review, and Mentoring
How Do I Launch the Grants Management Training Courses?
Popups must be enabled to launch the courses.
- Point your browser to the Trojan Learn portal and log in using your USC ID.
- Click the Contracts and Grants link on the right side of the page.
- Click on the Request button next to the program title (Grants Management Training for Faculty Program).
- The program will be added to your Transcript.
- From your Transcript, click Open Curriculum.
- Click the Launch button to begin the lessons.
Once you click “Launch”, the class may take a couple minutes to load. Please note that you can exit either class at any time and your progress will be saved. At the end of each class, you will be presented with a short quiz that will need to be completed in order to obtain credit.
How Long Do I Have to Complete the Program?
You have until the time your grant is awarded to complete the training. If the grant is awarded and you have not completed the program, the award will not be processed. We suggest you complete the program as early as possible to avoid any delays in processing an award.
For Technical Assistance
Contact: Trojan Learn Help Desk
Phone: (213) 740-8648
For Program Assistance
Contact: Noah Congelliere
Phone: (213) 740-7392