Support services for research investigators are described in the attached documents. A document has been created to outline the service commitments for the research central office along with the departments within the Office of Research, which can be found here. If you have any question as to “who does what” contact the Office of Research: 213-740-6709.
Responsibilities of Investigators & Research Administrators
- Download the USC Research Partnership Memo
- Download the Roles and Responsibilities for Research Administration
Responsible Unit for Each Type of Contract
- Download the Contract Responsibilities for Handling Agreements
- List of School Authorized Dean’s Signature Designees for Sponsored Project Approvals
Directory of Frequent USC Research Contacts
Guide to Research at USC
- Download the Guide to Research – Fall 2022
- Guide to Onboarding New Faculty for Becoming Research Investigators 7/15/16
The Guide has been developed by the Office of Compliance and the Office of Research as a ready reference on university processes for: (1) proposal submission, (2) account establishment, (3) research management, (4) closeout, and (5) research education. Please print and save a copy as a reference for your research related questions.
The Senior Executive Director of Corporate & Foundation Relations asks that investigators who are planning to submit a request for funding to a foundation or other philanthropic organization obtain prior approval and clearance via email. Prior approval and clearance is requested at least 4 weeks prior to the planned submission date. Investigators should submit the information below:
- Name of Foundation
- Program Officer/Contact Name
- Open Call or Invitation
- Proposal Title/Short Description
- Amount Being Requested
- Timeline for Submission
Responsibilities of Research Administration Units
- Department of Contracts and Grants: proposal submission, award negotiation, sub-awards, account set-up and account close-out, ensuring that our grants and contracts are consistent with university standards for academic freedom, research ethics and fiscal responsibility.
- DC Office of Research Advancement: assistance in proposal development for centers, program projects or other large interdisciplinary proposals.
- Department of Disbursement Control & Accounts Payable is responsible for processing and distributing payments to subcontractors.
- Department of Purchasing Services is responsible for processing reimbursements, Independent Consultant Agreements, and issuing Purchasing Orders for subcontracts.
- USC Research Frequent Contacts
- Clinical Trials Office: industry sponsored clinical trials.
- Office of Compliance: ITAR and other export restrictions, conflict of interest disclosures, research compliance education.
- Office of General Counsel: reviews research service agreements, as submitted through Kuali Coeus
- Sponsored Projects Accounting: submission of financial reports and invoicing.
- Strategic and Global Initiatives: approval of all initiatives that establish an overseas presence or an international partnership with an overseas university, institution, or governmental entity, excluding sponsored research agreements and technology licenses.
- University Advancement: gift agreements (i.e., an agreement where an organization or individual asks for no work product, intellectual property or any other item of value in exchange for funding).
- USC Stevens Center for Innovation: licensing of intellectual property, material transfer agreements, confidential disclosure agreements and assistance with start-ups.