USC is engaged in research around the globe, studying health, culture and environment in other countries, collaborating with scholars in foreign institutions, creating corporate research partnerships, and attracting students from overseas. USC supports participation of all students, regardless of their national origin or religious affiliation, in our research and educational programs, and encourages our researchers to contribute to the needs for research that occur around the world.
- Announcement on International Collaborations Policy 2/27/17
- International Collaborations, Export Controls and Disclosure Requirements 11/24/19
- FAQ on Faculty Foreign Research Relationships 6/24/19
- Quick Guide on Disclosure of Foreign Relationships 2/27/20
USC Policies and Procedures
- Policy on International Collaborations and Export Controls – Provides guidance on travel and relationships in foreign countries, as well as funded research that carries restrictions on exports and publications.
- International Human Subjects Research – Procedures for the protection of human research subjects internationally may be different from U.S. federal regulations and institutional policies. Contact the IRB for more information.
- International Travel – Information on complying with international travel restrictions.
- Application to Request Approval for Conducting Restricted Research – In exceptional circumstances USC will consider requests from investigators to accept sponsored research agreements that limit dissemination of research results, pre-publication review or access to a research project based on nationality. The Principal Investigator (PI) must submit a request for exception, endorsed in writing by his or her dean, to the Vice President of Research. A decision on the proposed exception is made by the Vice President of Research upon recommendation of a standing committee of faculty based on a compelling need for the research to take place under the requested conditions. Applicants should submit the required form to firstname.lastname@example.org , allowing at least 30 days for a decision prior to submitting proposals with known restrictions. When restrictions are not known until time of award, please submit this required award form to email@example.com, allowing at least 30 days for a decision prior to finalization of the agreement. Answers to frequently answered questions can be found here. In all cases, USC will seek to remove the restrictive conditions posed by sponsors.
Offices that Support International Research
- Strategic and Global Initiatives – Manages relationships with foreign entities, reviews and approves international agreements (excluding sponsored research agreements and technology licenses), and manages the USC International Offices.
- Office of International Services – Services supporting international students and scholars.
- Office of Compliance – Support for restricted research and information on travel restrictions.
- USC Stevens Center – The corporate collaborations group at USC Stevens can negotiate relationships with corporate research sponsors from all countries.
- Department of Contracts and Grants – For review and negotiation of terms and conditions in sponsored agreements. DCG will seek to remove terms that restrict publications and participation of foreign nationals in all cases.
- Faculty Staff Visa Services – Specialized services required to facilitate the hiring of international faculty and staff.
International Research Centers and Programs
- Institute for Global Health
- Center for Global Innovation
- Center for Global Supply Chain Management
- Viterbi – Global Academic Initiatives
- Annenberg Research Network on International Communication
- Center on Public Diplomacy
- Price School International Research
- USC Korean Studies Institute
- USC Center for International Studies
- USC US-China Institute
- Center for Global Aging
- Center for the Study of Immigrant Integration
- Regulatory Science International Center